Thread: The closest ------- to Seoul Station?

loves the G

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default The closest ------- to Seoul Station?

From next week I'll be living quite close to Seoul Station!

So... what/where is the closest:

Bomb shelter
    Swimming pool
    Popeye's Chicken
    Krispey Kreme Donuts
    Costco
    A bike shop that will blow up (and by that I mean inflate) my bicycle tires
    Recording studio
    Beach
    Subway Station

Thanks!

Anything else of interest/use in the general area?

Thanks

intellectually exhausted
    the 16th floor of the most useless place in the universe

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by CaptPorridge View Post
    From next week I'll be living quite close to Seoul Station!

So... what/where is the closest:
    - Bomb shelter

Probably Seoul Station itself. Or Sookmyeong Stn.

- Swimming pool

Tough question. Hamilton has a rooftop pool but I don't think it's good for swimming. There is a school by Noksapyeong Stn that has a swimming pool but I think they do a lot of lessons. Probably should ask if there's one on campus at your new uni.

- Popeye's Chicken

There used to be one along the street with all the shops leading down from I guess the front gate of the uni. But this was years ago and I don't think it's there now. The only one I know of for sure is at Gagnam Stn which isn't all that close, probably should check their Korean website.

Ah, here you go. Looks like there's one in the big Seoul Stn building?

- Krispy Kreme Donuts

There was one in the basement of the Myeongdong Lotte Dept Store or whatever, basically Euljiro Ipgu Stn. But that was some time ago.

- Costco
    Err Yeongdeungpo is probably the closest. You go to Yeongdeungpo-gucheong Stn and take Exit 2. Walk through the little park and then keep straight for another 5 or so minutes. You will eventually reach it and it is hard to miss. It's also possible to catch a bus from Hapjeong Stn on Line 6 to this Costco but I don't remember the bus number.

- A bike shop that will blow up (and by that I mean inflate) my bicycle tires

But you should have them exploded. I don't know if it's the closest but there is a bike shop just past Samgakji Stn going south. They specialize in mountain bikes but I guess they can inflate your tires.

- Recording studio

Probably in Hongdae, maybe keithinkorea knows more.

- Beach

Either one of those islands off the coast west of Incheon (like Deokjeokdo) or perhaps Ganghwa-do northwest of Gimpo but I don't know if you can lie around and swim there.

- Subway Station

Really? The closest station to Seoul Stn?

Anyway, near your uni you can access with relative ease these stations: Sookmyeong, Seoul, Namyeong, Hyochang Park, Yongsan, Shinyongsan

Namsan isn't too far away and is okay for walks and perhaps runs. It's also pretty nice around there when it's not the dead of winter.

You can take the 02 village bus from Namyeong and go to Haebangchon, although the area between Sookmyeong and Namyeong Stns has plenty of Korean-style food and drinking establishments for the uni students.

It's a bit farther but I guess you can get to Gongdeok Stn without too much hassle. Around there and Mapo Stn there are some famous meat restaurants if you feel like you're low on protein.

Lucky Hiker or Perverted Squirrel

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

You really don't know much about the city, do you?

Bomb shelter
    Yeah, probably Seoul Station. The AREX line goes pretty deep.

Swimming pool
    Whoa, I had no idea there was a swimming pool up there. Isn't there a pool right by Noksapyeong Station? Or is that gone or I dreamed it up?

Popeye's Chicken
    I'm pretty sure there's one in Seoul Square, the reddish building across the street from Seoul Station.

Recording studio
    There are tons of practice rooms that are easy to find and use in Hongdae, and a smaller but still significant number of recording studios.

Beach
    In the summer the AREX will offer trains to Yongyu Station, which is very very close to Wangsanri and Eulwangri beaches just to the west of Incheon Airport. It's also convenient to ferries bound for Muuido and a few other islands.

Subway Station
    I'm going to echo El Jefe's incredulity on this one.

Seoul Station is also pretty close to Namdaemun Market as well as Myeongdong, and if you go north Seoul Plaza and Gwanghwamun aren't that far.

loves the G

Thanks... the Platform the train to Incheon Airport will be my bomb shelter. It's about 5 ks underground.
    But how would I get out?

And yeah.. all my visits to Seoul have been day trips or one nighters so while I know where most of the main bar areas are and other touristy spots, my knowledge pretty much ends there.

And I don't recall coming across a Popeye's at all! At the moment I live 500 meters from one. I'm beginning to think I've made a terrible mistake!

Oh yeah I was only kidding about the nearest subway.

Yep, I just got confirmation that the Seoul Square Popeye's is still open. It's less than 500 meters from Seoul Station, so if you're living up on the second floor with the rest of the bums it should be very convenient for you. Or are you living in an apartment nearby?
    http://www.popeyes.co.kr/shop/dbnew_...hopcode=101076

If there were any actual North Korean invasion you'd probably be able to get into the AREX tunnel. I'd walk to Gongdeok Station and then get into the line 5 tunnel so you could cross under the river.

intellectually exhausted

Oh yeah I was only kidding about the nearest subway.
    Figures but I also sort of guessed it might be helpful to highlight that you actually have access to a few different subway lines from where you're working. You've got easy access to lines 1, 4, and 6, and with just a wee bit more effort you can get to line 2 via City Hall and line 5 via Gongdeok. So that gives you a decent subway web for getting around.

And if you expect to commute much outside of just work/home and have a smartphone it might be worth downloading the Seoul Bus app. Or at least explore some bus stops in that general area. Bus drivers can be pretty full-on as they zip around the city but it's uncommon that taking the subway actually ends up being more convenient for me. Plus taking the bus does help you get your bearings of the city's layout way better than zooming around underground in tubes. That road that Sookmyeong and Samgakji stations are on is a major bus artery.

the jesus vampire slayer

Costco: 6 of one half dozen of the other between Yangjae and Yeundongpo, both cost around 10k in a cab from HBC, I prefer Yeundongpo as its not far from the subway and not as insanely busy.

Pool: the Hamilton is only open in the summer and its not a pool its a meat market, like other people have said the one community center near Noksapyeong station is where most of my friends who are serious swimmers go to. As to health clubs I've been using the one at the Hamilton recently on a drop in basis for 10k/visit

recording studio: think there is one here in HBC look up Lance Reagan Dietel or whatever his name is, the guy who organizes the HBC fest, think he owns it

Second the rec on Namsan, great place to do some hill work when (or if) the weather warms up. Our running group does a thurs evening run there every week rain or shine and that turns out to be a big drinking fest afterwards.

Myeong-dong is so-so unless you are into mass crowds of Koreans and Japanese women looking for deals along with the jesus vampires who prowl the area.

You'll also be close to the British Embassy which runs a nice pub on Friday nights if you can get somebody to sign you in
    We ARE the people our parents warned us about

Quote Originally Posted by rocky racoon View Post
    Myeong-dong is so-so unless you are into mass crowds of Koreans and Japanese women looking for deals along with the jesus vampires who prowl the area.
    Yeah, you know, I never understand the attention given to Myeongdong, but it sounds like it's become pretty successful among Hallyu fans, from what I understand mainly for cosmetics. I've even known dudes who visited it hearing it's one of the better markets, instead of the numerous actual better markets, and came away predictably disappointed.

loves the G

Thanks guys. Is the Hamilton's gym open Sundays? I'll be joining the ladies gym on campus because it's really cheap.
    That gym's closed on Sundays, like most others in this exercise-on-Sunday forsaken country.

the jesus vampire slayer

Thanks guys. Is the Hamilton's gym open Sundays? I'll be joining the ladies gym on campus because it's really cheap.
    That gym's closed on Sundays, like most others in this exercise-on-Sunday forsaken country.
    think it is, i'll be there thursday and i'll check for you

when it warms up, you up for going out jogging?
    We ARE the people our parents warned us about

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

To commemorate your move up I think it appropriate for RF to set up another Burn night... *ahem* on a Saturday *ahem*
    "An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."

"Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock."

Will Rogers

Sine Pari

loves the G

I thought it was only open on Fridays??

And yes Rocky, I'm up for an occasional out door run.

2.5 days left in Daegu. i just drew up a to-do list. It's a mile long.

---------- Post added at 03:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

One of my bosses just said, "So, when I go to Seoul, do I have a place to stay?"

"Oh sure, there are plenty of places to stay in Seoul."

"No, I mean with you, at your women's university".

"No"

intellectually exhausted

I don't know if you're trying to get in the sack or were expecting them to provide for your living arrangements and decided to wait until now to ask about that.

If it's for the short term I'm sure you can work out a hotel nearby. I think there's one near the USO that should be respectable enough for someone of your refined status.

If it's for the long term then hah! You are so screwed.

If she was turning down an advance then my condolences.

edit: hah nevermind I misunderstood, your soon-to-be ex-boss wants the sweet hookup

loves the G

Thanks for trying^^

Owner-Operator

Quote Originally Posted by T-J View Post
    To commemorate your move up I think it appropriate for RF to set up another Burn night... *ahem* on a Saturday *ahem*
    I have you covered TJ. I have a business trip next week and won't be back 'till the end of the month. Let's call it a tentative for 2 March.
    "Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar." - Mark Twain