Thread: Easiest/Most Difficult Stages

Venus of Willendork

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Smile Easiest/Most Difficult Stages

Last week, my midwife surprised me by assuring me that the first two weeks are the most difficult. A friend intriguing me by promising that "it gets better and better."

I'm only 2 weeks in, but I'm having a grand time.I can see why people like the newborn stage. Milk-drunk babies are so fragile and cuddly, and when they smile, it's rare, but devastatingly sweet. Some things are very easy, because they can't disagree or they just don't have an opinion yet. Diapers are not nearly as revolting as they will become, and at this age, they can't get kick free and try to leap off the changing table. I'm looking forward to what is to come, of course. I will be thrilled to have a greater understanding/communicative link with this little guy. I will delight in teaching him and watching him discover the world for himself.

What have your favourite/least favourite stages been?

__@..@
    _(----) __
    ( )--( )
    _o0..0o

pass the jameson's

Those newborn days were fun, just because of all the wondering and fretting about every little thing that, in hindsight, seem like minor occurrences. But, now that I can communicate and partake in more and more activities with my son, I consider the newborn stage to be the most boring by far.

Everyone says those days go by too fast and that you should revel in them while you can. I suppose that's true, but other than taking in the physical wonders of having such a tiny person around, I found there wasn't much of interest to do. I much prefer the deeper and more varied interactions I have with my toddler. And, I expect that I will continue to value our shared experience even more as he continues to develop and mature.

That is, of course, until the point that he decides he no longer has much use for his dad, by which time I intend to be completely infatuated by my daughter instead. Back at ya, junior!

Taoiseach

The first four years have been pretty good. I used to sleep her on my arm during the early birth weeks to try to get her to stay asleep. I'll never forget those experiences. We had to take turns alternate nights to sleep properly for a while, but I can't recall how hard it was. Since she started giggling at around 5 months, she's been a pure delight. The only times she's been hard work has been when she's sick. She becomes fucking impossible. We all go out of our minds for a week or so, and then we're friends again as soon as she's well again. She's pretty easy on us most of the time. Sleeps 10-11 hours every night. No worries.

We waited for the terrible twos, but they haven't eventuated yet. I don't believe every kid follows the same stages. Ours is just herself; gets it done in her own time. She's funny and cool. She's sweet and adorable and loving. She's willful, stubborn, obstinate, and she fits right in around here. :TUMBLE:

Swiss Mrs.

In my experience, the best ages/stages are the worst ages/stages. My almost 3 year old is NEVER boring. Her behaviour is either charming/delightful/hilarious or absolutely appalling -- never anything in between unless she is unconscious.

I thought that the sleep situation would just improve, but that turned out not to be true at all, particularly for my first daughter who slept wonderfully at night (but was a snack and snoozer during the day) until she turned 4 months and then didn't sleep through the night again until she was 4 YEARS OLD and still has a bad night once every week or two at 5.5 years old.

I think it gets easier after the first 2 weeks because of the parents adjusting to the lack of sleep, etc., and new parents tend to stress out a lot. My first week with my first was filled with anxiety about milk not coming in, diaper output, worries if she was sleeping too much/too little, etc.... I was able to enjoy that stage a lot more the second time around.

I remember the first week was pretty hard, like Kimchistain said... milk, poop, sleep worries. Then the next few weeks were good, until colic hit. Elijah cried every single day, for several hours. It was hellish. Scream crying. Not just mewing. Then he wouldn't sleep unless bounced on the yoga ball. Until 6 months, he was awake every 45 minutes.
    He's gotten SO much better about sleep now, but still wakes up several times a night. He'll be a year old on May 1st.
    I loved the newborn tininess and sweetness. But he is getting so much more fun, as he laughs and plays with us. Watching his little personality and sense of humor come out is so much fun. Every stage is different, but I think I enjoy him more now, although he is a lot of work.

Mines 10...going on 16 it seems. Enjoy the young years while they last.
    "An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."

"Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock."

Will Rogers

Sine Pari

in school

Sleepless nights aside, it's been a complete blast for 22 months.
    "Find the awesome in life, and tit-fuck it."
    --Chico Kalifornia

Venus of Willendork

A friend of mine recently mentioned her horror when she heard of a person who continued to have babies because she preferred infants to older children. I share her concern for her older children who seem to have passed their "best before" date, and although I can't deny that newborns are delightful (and my own particular nugget occupies the place of the moon and the stars in my sky,) I admit that raising these tiny people is probably a bit more solipsistic than in other stages. For my son, there is nothing more interesting than me, and although I choose to be hostage to his sleep and feeding needs, if it comes to a disagreement between the two of us, I will tend to prevail (unless it relates to noise level.) I can see how newborns might appeal to the narcissists.

__@..@
    _(----) __
    ( )--( )
    _o0..0o

Expat 대부

Get them in an 8 to 8 sleeping pattern and they are pretty manageable little cuties. Our oldest is 4.5 and the boy is 1.5, they are both sleeping before 10 for the first time ever.
    The first used to stay up till 2:30 or so the first 6 months and until we moved to the UK 5 weeks ago, used to stay up till 11:30 or midnight. This meant she kept baby up to at nights and left everyone shattered the next day with all having a long lie till 10:30 or later, except me.

The fresh air in Scotland soon knocked them out, so now after 9:30, me and the wife have some spare time.
    Washing dishes and stuff are easy at 9:30, but I hated washing at midnight and having no time for internet/TV or quiet time.

It's easy to ruin the first one and let them run your life.
    When the koala stage comes, you'll wish they were more independent.

Both are crazy when they play together and the 2nd is definitely a little more nutty than the first, but has a nicer character, most of the time.
    They both make me burst with happiness as they are so cute, and they make me laugh like nothing on earth.
    My daughter just spoke for 55 minutes telling me a bedtime story before she finally slept. My wife and son were asleep in the next bedroom while this happened.

......nice catch!

i remember the jealousy between my husband and i. it went both ways though, which prolly made it easier for us both to keep it in check.

i remember being fairly relaxed for a new mother. i think i'd sometimes go into panic mode out of a feeling of quilt for that.

my oldest had allergies and developed terrible eczema at 4 months. he looked like a crocodile but never stopped smiling! that was pretty stressful until we identified the source: milk (and later peanuts). then there was the asthma and inhalation treatments. but as i hinted at, my son was an extremely happy baby, VERY easy going. he still is only now he's a teenager. everyday is a challenge with teenagers, so it seems. the pressure to manage them: in completing homework, getting enough sleep, negotiating their social course (with compassion), and the fashion thing - ugh! curse those skinny jeans!!!!

my daughter on the other hand has always been a teensy bit difficult. she never says what's on her mind (particularly with yes/no questions, to which i have learned to always wait for the second answer before responding), she cries wolf, and she's a drama queen ^^. when she was a baby, my husband and a nanny spent more time with her than i, which COULD account for her behavior, but i suspect she has a naturally contrary nature.

both of my kids play well with others and have always for the most part been well-liked, which has made my job pretty easy in general.

it's all so individual. Kimchistain's input above is spot on as usual.
    Last edited by ody; 04-19-2012 at 03:50 PM.

“Lo único que se hace desde arriba son los pozos,”
    “The only thing that you can make from up to down are holes.”

-Eduardo Galeano

interview

rentoon rentoon

The best stage of all is grandchildren. They are always wonderful. Always.

"While everyone else on here has been raving about pretty flight attendants, I have been saying for fucking years that I would rather fly on western airlines than Asian ones, precisely because I feel safer in the hands of people who have been trained to think on their feet than people who think the most important thing about their job is to SMILE and use two hands while passing things to passengers." - Cherry.