Thread: Laundry service in Seoul

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Laundry service in Seoul

During my trip to Seoul, I had expected to spot far more dry cleaners than I expected (seriously - back in the US, almost every other dry cleaner seems to be run by a Korean). In Tokyo, you can find dry cleaners in almost any block. For some reason (perhaps not being able to read Korean) I had a hard time finding one. I eventually spotted a few in the back alleys of Itaewon where I got a dress shirt ironed while I waited for W2000.

Still I wasn't certain whether they'd also do basic laundry. For example, drop off a small load of t-shirts, socks, underwear, dress shirts and trousers - and have it done within a day.

For the next time I visit, does anyone have any recommendations on relatively easy to find dry cleaners/laundry service providers in Seoul? (I know almost every hotel provides such services, but I'd like the option of dealing direct as I do in the US as in general the dry cleaning/laundry service quality provided by most hotels sucks in terms of both quality and price).

Owner-Operator

Hotel laundry service is usually quite expensive. I KNOW I've seen coin-op places somewhere, but I can't for the life of me recall where. Basically, almost every neighborhood has a dry cleaner, but laundry is not usually done.
    "Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar." - Mark Twain

Expat Tom Cruise Wannabe

I've only see one self coin 'normal' laundry place and that's in Hongdae, On the back street that runs parallel to the main street behind the LG Palace building, it's near the Burger King. Dry cleaners are everywhere.
    It's like consulting with a local KKK leader for "information" on crimes by minorities. If you line birdcages with Korean newspapers, you'll probably make the shit dirtier.

Keeping herself to herself

Actually, laundry can be done. You just have to go in and instead of asking for *dry sae-tak*, you need to ask for *mool sae-tak*...

The nearest self-service laundry place I know of in Seoul is in Hannam-dong.... but I don't know its exact location. Only know that I've seen it once while on my way to the German International School....

Thanks for the advice. "mool sae tak" - I've written it down for later. "Mool" is 'water', right?

I did find some coin laundries online:

http://www.coinwash24.co.kr
    http://www.coinwash.co.kr/

However, if there's a same-day service available, I'd much rather opt for that while traveling!

Expat 대부

Our local 세탁소 (SehTakSo) does everything.
    Fixes broken zips, buttons, hems, washes, irons, sneakers, etc.
    We can even call them to come and collect, and they drop off when ready.
    Very reasonable too.

There are a couple of coin laundry chains in Seoul. For example:

http://www.speedcleaning.net/

http://www.coinwash.co.kr/sub02/sub02.htm?kind=&uid=45

http://www.cleanup24.co.kr/chain/chain_07.php

For example, there is one near the Yeoksam subway stop. Or, if you are near the Express bus terminal, there is one near Naebang station also. What I learned the hard way is that often the price automatically includes the detergent. The first time I used a coin laundry, I also put detergent into the machine, not knowing the machine added some also. Got lots of suds. :)

There's a fucker behind you.

Quote Originally Posted by jackdaniels View Post
    In Tokyo, you can find dry cleaners in almost any block.
    In Tokyo, you can find anything in almost any block.

Recently, I've been wondering if we aren't all going to wind up with terrible cases of Alzheimer's from never having to think about a single fucking thing.
    From the bars, from the sidewalks, from the gutter theatrical.