Thread: Make a Korean Name?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Make a Korean Name?

I mean, officially, for my ARC, is it possible? I am so fed up with the internet sites and my name (it is too long). Most recently, I've tried to do some banking online, and had trouble because I DON'T KNOW what my official bank account name really is - on my bank book there is a truncated version of my name, but my ARC of course has my full version.

So, if I could register a Korean name for my ARC and Bank Account, then that would solve one problem (leaving only the foreign ID number problem)

There's a fucker behind you.

I think it's better to just leave Korea.

In Japan, I registered my first name as my family name without anyone noticing! (I also wore a disguise in my gaijin card picture, but that turned out to be not such a good idea.) Since my first name is 'Lee', I'll just blend in with all the Koreans and Chinese on any databases. This also helped me to escape the back taxes I owed from the last time I lived here.

Does it really matter about the bank account? I mean, you only need to access that bank's website. If they can't help you, change banks. How would having a Korean name on the ARC help you? Unless you were planning to dodge taxes or disappear into an endless file of people with the same name... Hmm...

If your first name is Kim or Lee, I say just try my trick of innocently switching your names when you fill out the paperwork. They'll never find you then!

If your name is anything else, might be a big bother.
    From the bars, from the sidewalks, from the gutter theatrical.

Not entirely true. Yes, I can access the bank's site. But lately, I've had to make some payments and also deposit from/to my account on some online shopping sites. On these sites, your name has to exactly match the bank account name, or else it won't work.

Could you just use the first three syllables of your name, then?

I doubt it. The banks seems to be pretty strict(*) about the name on your account, it has to match exactly(**) what your passport and/or ARC say. I doubt I could willy-nilly ask for a different name on my account. That's why I bring up the question about making an official Korean name, one that could be legally put on my ARC and subsequently on my bank account.

(*) Unlike a lot of the Korean financial "rules" that seem overly cautious and strict, I can't really disagree with a policy that requires you to use your real name on a bank account. That doesn't seem unreasonable, except in cases like mine when the real name doesn't otherwise work with the bulk of the Korean financial infrastructure.

(**) I say exactly, although there seems to be some fudging possible, as in my case when the name doesn't fit in the length available on the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherry View Post
    Could you just use the first three syllables of your name, then?
    That's probably a safe way to walk the legal line. I use "Ben" on quasi-legal documents all the time, including in Korea. Nobody ever gave me a suspicious look in Korea. If they had, you can always fall back on the phrase "cultural differences!"--it's almost like a get out of jail free card.
    Tyranny is always better organized than freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by Benexpat View Post
    That's probably a safe way to walk the legal line. I use "Ben" on quasi-legal documents all the time, including in Korea. Nobody ever gave me a suspicious look in Korea. If they had, you can always fall back on the phrase "cultural differences!"--it's almost like a get out of jail free card.
    If all else fails, I'll give this idea a try. Complicating the matter is the fact that I go by my middle name, not my first name. Furthermore, I might be able to convince the banker to make my account in my "nickname", but I'm not sure Immigration would go along for my ARC. They have to match, because these sites often require both pieces of information.

Do like Seo Ko Pil. (I don't even know his real name.)

Beer drinkin' Moonie Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by TheStumbler View Post
    I mean, officially, for my ARC, is it possible? So, if I could register a Korean name for my ARC and Bank Account, then that would solve one problem (leaving only the foreign ID number problem)

I doubt it. The banks seems to be pretty strict(*) about the name on your account, it has to match exactly(**) what your passport and/or ARC say. I doubt I could willy-nilly ask for a different name on my account. That's why I bring up the question about making an official Korean name, one that could be legally put on my ARC and subsequently on my bank account.
    short of taking up k citizenship, i kinda doubt it. name on ARC has to match EXACTLY what is in your foreign passport, doesn't it?

years ago, before the banks could actually input english names (no programs for doing it in english), many folks either 1) put their accounts in the phonetic korean spelling of their english name or 2)took on a korean name.

this was also back in the day when ALL foreigners had residence numbers which were the same as koreans (men had ending numbers starting with 1, and women had numbers with a 2).

when the real name system came into place, all of us with "korean names" had to prove we were really that korean name, which involved a ton of paperwork (since for the most part these were used on bank accounts and k driver's licenses, but NOT on the ARC or medical card, thereby making it hard to prove anything with their standard of acceptable ID- ie. the ARC and/or the medical card).

once it was done, though, everything was fine again.

when the ARC/residence numbers for foreigners changed nationwide, they did away with allowing the use of korean names once and for all.

i can still get around some of the internet crap with my old korean name and old style korean ID number. i think it's still working because that's how it was registered when i originally set up my credit cards, though.
    "It's like Korea is a 2L Slurpee and my mind is suffering from extended brain freeze..." -SarcasmKills

"This country should be relocated to the moon man, because it's full of crazy cats." -philipjames on Toby Dawson

"They really should stop teaching everyone English; then, they'd have to work in Korea." -woland

Quote Originally Posted by kitekid View Post
    short of taking up k citizenship, i kinda doubt it. name on ARC has to match EXACTLY what is in your foreign passport, doesn't it?
    Good question, Kitekid. I don't know the answer to that. I suppose I will find out if I research this more thoroughly. I'm not in a big rush, but by coincidence I'll be meeting a lawyer for some unrelated business in the next week or two, I might just sneak this question in.

"A wanker of the highest order"

I managed to get 유범석 put on my first credit card, but then I realised that it could look rather suspicious and make it a lot easier for a Korean fraud artist to use my card.

You could be next!

Quote Originally Posted by Yu_Bum_suk View Post
    I managed to get 유범석 put on my first credit card, but then I realised that it could look rather suspicious and make it a lot easier for a Korean fraud artist to use my card.
    That sucks!

A fraud artist could never figure out how to use my card... at least 'online'.

Apparently, my first (given) name has become my family name and my first, middle name is my first 'given' name (I have two middle names)... and wasn't there when my K boss applied for the card. This presented problems when purchasing 'on line'... until I had an epiphany and transposed the names.

In first-world countries 'registration' of the card takes a little bit of explaining -
    "It was issued by a Korean bank."
    The Ks once gave me five minutes notice. I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

My K name is Yu Suk-Mi

You could be next!

Quote Originally Posted by chuckecheese View Post
    My K name is Yu Suk-Mi
    Ha ha... that's what I keep telling Miss Park... good thing the photo was "moved or deleted"... not appropriate for 'work'.

Hit 'Dave's' with it! :wink2:
    The Ks once gave me five minutes notice. I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

Evil Conservative kangnamdragon's Avatar

It's not just the name. My Korean American roommate has a Korean name but cannot use some sites. The problem is the "5" at the beginning of the second part of the number.

Where the white women at! Qinella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cruisemonkey View Post
    In first-world countries 'registration' of the card takes a little bit of explaining -
    "It was issued by a Korean bank."
    Yeah, I had an issue when I was trying to link my Korean bank account to a PayPal account. The PayPal form provided your "surname" and required you to input your given names. That had to match the bank's records. To get that to work, I had to call PayPal and have the guy make it so my first name appeared as my surname. Fucking hell.

(To those who are curious, I never did establish the PayPal link. Apparently the Korean government stipulated that only Korean citizens shall be allowed to do that if PayPal wanted to operate in their country.)

Anyway, TheStumbler, just look in your bank book. It should have your name printed out the way it appears in their computers. If my name were Lee Harvey Oswald, it would appear in my book as OSWALDLEEHARVEY. Though at some banks it would be OSWALDLE since eight characters is far more than anyone would ever need for a name.
    Ezekiel 23:20 - There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses.

You could be next!

Quote Originally Posted by kangnamdragon View Post
    It's not just the name. My Korean American roommate has a Korean name but cannot use some sites. The problem is the "5" at the beginning of the second part of the number.
    Yeah... the '5' after the DOB hyphen denotes the fact he's not really Han.

Qinella, my name on the bank book using your example, is OSWALDLEEHA, whereas on my ARC and passport it is the full OSWALD LEE HARVEY. What I'm not sure of is what is stored in the bank's computer for my name, the full name or the truncated name.

Yes, the -5 in the ID number is another issue entirely. Maybe I'll start a thread about that one, too.

Where the white women at! Qinella's Avatar

Qinella, my name on the bank book using your example, is OSWALDLEEHA, whereas on my ARC and passport it is the full OSWALD LEE HARVEY. What I'm not sure of is what is stored in the bank's computer for my name, the full name or the truncated name.
    Did you try asking them?
    Ezekiel 23:20 - There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses.

Qinella, my name on the bank book using your example, is OSWALDLEEHA, whereas on my ARC and passport it is the full OSWALD LEE HARVEY. .
    Were you near the grassy knoll on November 22, 1963?
    Tyranny is always better organized than freedom.